pp0adc6fd5.jpg
pp76e66c4c.jpg
ppf300574c.jpg
pp3df4401b.gif
Moving organ alley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Stephens
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Moving organ alley Reply with quote

My first time on here and as most won't know me, my brother owns the 30 keyless Dean which was playing "up the hill" this year. Since he rarely bothers with computers and Dad doesn't know how to switch one on, I guess that makes me the family representative.

Hopefully no-one will mind me broaching this subject which was discussed in the dance tent on the sunday evening. Since not everyone was able to be there and as these meetings can tend to get a bit "circular" in nature, I thought I might list some pros and cons to moving the alley back down where we were:

Pros:

1. More potential visitors. Lazy old joe public is more likely to pay a visit if we're tacked onto the end of the market that he's just walked around.

2. Closer to the action for us. At least your stir-fry is still hot by the time you get back to the caravan.

Actually those are the only two pros that spring to mind.

Cons:

1. The folk beer tent. God knows it's loud enough where we are now. Moving closer can only make it louder.

2. General rowdiness and pilfering, much of it connected with the folk tent. I've already suffered one physical assault at the hands of someone who'd spent too long in there and thought it might be a laugh to have a go at my tent. I don't much fancy another one.

3. Congestion. It might look a bit empty down there at the moment, but it would fill up pretty quick if we all decamped down there, leading to overcrowding and possible disagreements with market traders, many of whom seem to dislike organs already, without giving them more reason.

4. Dust and smoke. The dust of 2002 may have been exceptional, but there's no guarantee it won't return and, with the current quality of coal used, smoke is a permanent problem.

5. Fire risk. We've had one awning fire already. Did anyone see that trio of engines haring round the arena after dusk? Spectacular to look at but not something I'd want anywhere near my tent.

On the whole, I'd favour staying where we are. Any other thoughts?
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Alley Andy.

You set out the Pros & Cons very well.
I think they are all points that need to be seriously considered before any move is made.
Two points I would like to add.
Are we certain that a Marquee will be provided if Organ Alley is moved Question
In its present location electricity for the Marquee & the 2 Dance organs is supplied from the generator that is used in that area to power the Site lighting,will there be power in a new location Question

Regards
George.
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

Location: Manchester, UK (Tel: 0161 794 5558/ Mob: 07985 437940)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: OA Location... Reply with quote

Hi Andy & George.

Yes Andy, I think that you have summed up the main points about the location of OA.

I have mixed views on the issue of moving back to the old location (Its an epic!):

Flashback to 2002

If you look at the extreme left of the picture, you will see George's blue marquee. This was made of a plastic material and by the end of the week had numerous holes melted in it by stray sparks!

Jean Watts awning was actually set on fire. Luckily, there was someone nearby at the time to put it out, otherwise it would have been an even bigger disaster.

This is the current view (2006) of the old Alley spot:

The side of Heavy Haulage, 2006

It looks as if there is plenty of room, until you realize that most of it is a walkway.

The view next to Heavy Haulage (2005)

This picture shows that there is a 'ready made' audience of thousands, who would at least glance over to the organs while they watch the steamers and Pickford trucks etc.

However, if you look over to the right where the Alley used to be, you will see that it is not as empty as some would have us believe.

There is a bouncy castle, the Wookey Hole promotion and not a lot of spare room.

So the question is "Where would we be located"? The only space is closer to HH, which would put us in exactly the same spot as 2002.

There would only be enough room for one aisle, ie the one nearest to HH.

OK, the Van Eijk organ 'Dawn of the Century' always goes at the top of the old Alley, so the Selwood's must see the advantage in being there. Although I dread to think how much of that wonderful organ front needs cleaning afterwards!

We wouldn't have a generator, because the genny next to the OA marquee powers the Fire Station and campsite lighting and there is no need of a large generator next to HH.

However, this said, not everyone connects to the OA generator and maybe this could be used as an incentive to get more organ owners to use the current OA location if there were power points around the Alley, but I might be pushing the 'resources-on-a-plate' a bit too far by suggesting that!

Other minor issues are that the nearest standpipe and Elson point is at the top of the hill next to the present OA, so a little more travelling is required.

As you say Andy, we are also closer to the entertainment marquees, so thing are a lot louder down there. I have been on the old Alley a couple of times, so I know what it is like, especially on the Saturday night!

That said, the 'Bakers Arms' had a late nighter on the Saturday night this year, so maybe there isn't a lot to worry about on that subject (apart from the public toilets being rather grim on the Sunday morning!).

I like the current OA, because it is a dedicated spot for the organ enthusiast. But that is another issue: we will only have the organ enthusiasts visiting us, the public need something to look at.

Maybe we need an exhibition of something like the history of the organ/mechanical music, with working models, which would give the visitors a reason to call in on the Alley.

Also, I think that the entrance to the marquee should be positioned opposite one of the gaps in the hedge, so that people can see that there is something 'over the hedge' other than the public toilets!

Other suggestions were made about serving cups of tea, etc. This would of course require a serving rota, which may not be practical. We wouldn't be able to 'sell' refreshments, because the catering vans nearby would not like it, so I suggested that if we do decide to serve drinks, that we do it the same way they do it in the NTET marquee; they have a 'Hospitality' arrangement, where you make a donation for a cuppa (one that I have used a few times myself!).

Also don't forget that the marquee is a very generous 'gift' from the GDSF company and we may find that we can only have it as long as we stay where we are.

Regards, Dave Stubbs (Admin)
Graham Spencer
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all very well posting what is some very valid points of view accross, but you are all forgetting one very important factor and that is the person who has been mostly responsible for getting organ alley upto the standard it is now and that is Alan Roberts and that just maybe we might end up losing him as our leader due to split loyalties. Now that is something i dont want to see happen, all over a few extra punters.

I myself now favour staying where we are and boosting what the alley has to offer. I am working on the possibility of getting a Gavioli and Showmans enging up there for next year. I cant say who, just in case it does not come off, but we do need older, more atractable instruments, with more pulling power and i speak as someone who has only younger models which are very nice in their own right, but not worth walking the entire length of the show , just to see.

Like Andy, i too have had my fair share of Aggro down there, so when Alan asked me to join him up the top, i jumped at the chance to get away from laying in your bed, having to listen to someone being sick down your caravan, or a fight breaking out, or someone urinating up your awning. I did tell Dave Stubbs to stop doing it, but he wouldn't.

Joking aside, we dont need to go to them, we need something or somethings, to get them to come to us.

ANY THOUGHTS???

Graham Spencer
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Staying Put! Reply with quote

Hi Graham.

If you read between the lines of my epic post, you will find that I am in favour of staying where we are.

The point I was making in my post was that there are more disadvantages in moving than staying put.

However, like you say, Alan has the last word and I will go wherever he decides.

Regards,

Dave
Graham Spencer
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
All i am worried about is that this could spell the end for the alley. There are certain owners who welcome a move, we know who they are and they are very entitled to thier opinion, but we all know the best way to improve what we have is to do this as a united band of well meaning enthusiasts, not a disjointed movement of varying views.

I am worried, not just for myself, but for everyone who participates in making organ alley what it is today. I think we should start a new title called...WHAT CAN WE DO TO MAKE ORGAN ALLEY MORE APPEALING TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC NEXT YEAR.
What about that??

Oh by the way Dave...dont forget my DVD this weekend, thanks

Graham
James Dundon
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Felt the urge to join up and discuss, as this is quite a important subject, and one that could not be sorted when a few of us got together on Sunday night. It's going to need alot of thought and planning.

What I felt improved OA this year was the advertising we did, which did improve attendance for the things we advertised. Graham and myself did some posters that were distributed across the site and stuck on organs, we had a good attendance during the evening functions in OA. The blackboards outside the tent also created a bit of interest.

The sale of CD's on Saturday and Sunday created a bit of interest too and got a few people in. if we were to prepare next year, perhaps if any organ owners on site was willing to give us 5 CD's of each volume to sell at £7 each or 2 for £10, then we return to them what we haven't sold. Perhaps even the FOPS sales stand would like to be in the dance tent next year?

Food and drink I think is a must in the alley, surely some fast food venture would be glad to have an attraction in their seating area where people can eat. Failing that cups of tea might go down well.

My preferred option is to stay there, but it only stands a chance of improving up there if we can lop down the hedge a bit, and get a bit of funding for some festoon lights outside of the tent, a big banner, wider gaps in the hedge for people to walk through, blackboards the other side of the hedge saying what’s going on, plus more posters around site next year.

What if we were to change the layout of OA, scrap the back row perhaps and just put 2 big organs on the back corner playing up the field as well as down the field.

It would be nice if the GDSF did help us out a bit. More people coming up to see us means more people will walk behind us and see all the heavy haulage lined up, the tractor pulling and the steam cars, there is alot going on in that field that no one sees.

My only worry is (and this is the bombshell thought) That when 'the Smith family' are on a day out to Dorset, whats in it for them to walk along the row of organs, do they even know it's a row of organs if they just walk up along side to see the tractor pulling?

I don't think the pro's would out weigh the cons moving back down to the old alley and facing the other way, people would just walk along the back of the organ trucks not walking round the other side. It would be better to find another place on the field, like down where the food tent was by Margaret Cooks Ruth.

God there is too much to talk about with this subject really! I think that’s enough from me for now.

A vote of thanks to Alan Roberts for all the hard work he does.
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Message from Alan Roberts... Reply with quote

Alan seems to be having some problems getting on to the Forum, so he has emailed me a message to post:

Alan Roberts wrote:
What I want to say is that I have written to Martin Oliver requesting that he and I meet to discuss the way forward with the alley and work out things like better advertising, signeage, layout etc.

I don't want rumours starting that I cannot read or answer, so if you'd be so kind as to post the above, I'd be very grateful.

Alan

Regards, Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Organ Alley All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: