pp1f9707cd.jpg
pp93f48512.jpg
ppefa01447.jpg
pp0adc6fd5.jpg
pp76e66c4c.jpg
ppf300574c.jpg
pp3df4401b.gif
Is this forum endorsed by FOPS?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Is this forum endorsed by FOPS? Reply with quote

Isn't it funny that soon after the FOPS committee voted against the FOPS forum as it is not the place for discussion - and forced its closure - their Secretary is registered and posting on this one: http://www.dsvc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24#24

The message to the general public is that there's no need to be a members of any Society, only an independent forum.

John Page
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.
In answer your question.

Is this Forum endorsed by FOPS.

The answer is NO .

It is entirely independent, anyone can post as a guest on the public forum as you have ably demonstrated. There is no requirement to be a member of FOPS or any other organization to be able to register and post on the Member Forums - so why not register? We still live in a free Society!

As a matter of fact I found the FOPS forum to be a useful medium for information of the Organ world and was sorry to see its demise.

Regards
George.
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

Location: Manchester, UK (Tel: 0161 794 5558/ Mob: 07985 437940)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.

Thanks for your post.

I will take this opportunity to explain what I had in mind for the Organ Alley web site and Forum, sorry it’s a bit of an epic!

1. To provide a resource for Organ enthusiasts:

The site was originally intended to be purely about Organ Alley at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, but after some thought and discussion with other ‘Organ Alley Members’, I decided to make it more of a general interest site.

It was suggested that a ‘Message Board’ be included, so that opinions, technical information and history could be exchanged, whether from experts, enthusiasts or members of the Public with just a casual interest. This became the ‘Forum’.

2. Personal Objectives:

I have no ‘political agenda’; I have no intention or desire to form a new Society or Organization, or encourage people away from any existing Society or Organization.

I have no ambitions of making this site or Forum bigger and better than any other.

I do not wish this site to be ‘off limits’ to the General Public, in fact I encourage anyone to join in and add their ‘voice’.

You have demonstrated that the ‘open’ policy is working, by being able to view a message and posting a comment as a guest.

If this site generates some new interest, then organizations like FOPS, may actually acquire some new members, so I feel that you should be encouraging sites like this.

If you look at the Links page on the web site (close the Link Page browser to return here), you will see that I have placed links to numerous Organizations, to actively encourage interest from ‘the outside world’. I still have more links to add.

Quote:
The message to the general public is that there's no need to be a members of any Society, only an independent forum

I hope that this site sends out the right message to the General Public, or do you feel that the information that is in plain view on this site should be confined or regulated by the committee of an organization?

Personally, I believe that the information should be available to everyone, whether they are a member of a Society, Organization, Forum or whatever.

Don’t misunderstand me, I am not ‘anti-establishment’, but I feel that this site and others like it are the place for non-members of organizations to take their first step.

Quote:
Is this forum endorsed by FOPS?

Whether this Forum should be endorsed by anyone, I really couldn’t say. I was hoping for some approval by the GDSF, as it is related to their event and I would certainly appreciate some feedback from the Organ Societies, even if it just to provide a link.

Best Regards,

Dave Stubbs (Site Administrator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this site generates some new interest, then organizations like FOPS, may actually acquire some new members...

That may have happened with FOPS forum, as it was directly associated with the society, but the committee's action has placed doubt in the minds of a large number of members that they don't need a "society" as such, because these forums are doing a better job.
Quote:
... so I feel that you should be encouraging sites like this.

I did more than encourage a site like this, I set up the first one of its kind - FOPS forum. Like yours it had a public section for non-registered enthusiasts. However, the society's committee strongly discouraged it to the point of extinction. The success of the Organ Alley forum, and indeed the now-well-established iMOD forum, are proving that membership of a society is not as important as it used to be. That may be a harsh statement, but I'm convinced it's a fact of life.
Quote:
I am not ‘anti-establishment’, but I feel that this site and others like it are the place for non-members of organizations to take their first step.

My sentiments exactly, which was why FOPS forum (with its public section) was set up in the first place. What a pity the committee didn't agree.

Regards,
John Page
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

Location: Manchester, UK (Tel: 0161 794 5558/ Mob: 07985 437940)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Hi John Reply with quote

Hi John, thanks for your comments.

Well, let's see if we can do a good job of running this Forum, then maybe FOPS will see that it is a good idea after all and reinstate theirs.

I think we have said enough on this now, so let's move on and make this Forum work!

Best regards,

Dave Stubbs
ian rogers fops secretary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: FOPS Secretary Reply with quote

Now on a weekend visit home, and catching up with mail.

As an attendee and exhibitor of the Organ Alley at Dorset, I am subscribed in order to partisipate in activities. With the changes on the GDSF website this is great to have a focus on the organ faterity.

As Secretary of the FOPS I maintain an interest in all aspects the hobby and preservation world.

I have had no other comments on my membership to this or other forums that I belong too, and as an individual, will still subscribe to other organisations and take part in my interests in this area.

Ian
FOPS Secretary
nick marler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: is this forum endorsed by the fops Reply with quote

Hi All,
The last word on the subject from me.If we all worked together in harmony there would not be any need for all the squabbles that has been.The reason that the original fops forum closed was because of short sightedness from the committee.As I am no longer a member of fops I don't mind stating my views.I have been a member of fops since 1980 and have not renewed my membership because I don't agree with the backhanded way in which certain matters have been dealt with and in some ways smypathize with John Page for the way he has been treated.

Nick Marler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum