pp1f9707cd.jpg
pp93f48512.jpg
ppefa01447.jpg
pp0adc6fd5.jpg
pp76e66c4c.jpg
ppf300574c.jpg
pp3df4401b.gif
Pianola project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Organs and Mechanical Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

Location: Manchester, UK (Tel: 0161 794 5558/ Mob: 07985 437940)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Pianola project... Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

As we don't have a Pianola section, I will post this in the Organs Forum.

George has recently acquired a 'Push-Up' Pianola.

It is a 'Cecilian', manufactured in America in 1903, by the Farrand Organ Company and sold in Dublin by Pohlmann and Co.

We are interested in any information about this unit. One curiosity in particular is the tracker bar: The ports are wider at each end than they are in the centre of the bar (see picture below).

We are also interested in any rolls that may be available for a 65 note Cecilian.

It seems to play OK once a few repairs had been carried out and a few air leaks were plugged!

The bellows are linked to the pedals by canvas straps

We are puzzled by the tracker bar; The ports are longer at each end and narrow in the centre. Was this to let more air through for some notes, or was it to allow for the tolerance of the rolls?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dave Stubbs
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone.
As Dave says I have had yet another rush of blood and have acquired a push up piano player.
We believe that it is quite a rarity and probably more of a museum piece.
It may be the only one of its make in this Country unless of course someone can tell us of another hiding in some secret collection.

Considering that it was made in April 1903 ( a label with the date was discovered during restoration work)and has been stored in a Victorian building for many years it has needed relatively little work to get it into playing condition.
Only one music roll had survived but fortunately I have located a collection of Rolls in America that should be with me soon.

Any information on the make which has several peculiarities from the standard player would be welcomed.
I will try to post a few more pictures.

Regards
George.
This manufacturers label was found during the restoration

The rolls are wider than the 'standard' 65/88 rolls of later instruments. The front roll is a standard 65 note, showing the difference in size.

An advert for the 'Cecilian' player
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Listen to Cecilian... Reply with quote

We have uploaded a recording of the Cecilian piano player in action.

Click on the link below to listen (Blue Danube; 2.25MByte MP3):

http://www.fairorgan.com/bluedanube.mp3

(If it sounds a bit off - it's because Dave's legs were getting tired of pedalling!) Smile

Just watch those feet go!

Regards,

George
Ben Jackson
Gold Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good George,
I did think about getting an player piano but they wouldn't be much room in the living room and don't think my mum & dad who I live with wouldn't want to have an player piano taking up to much space. That's why I've got some midi files of scaned piano & nickelodeon rolls on my computer that I can play via my Yamaha keyboard using its midi in from my usb midi box.
Ben Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post Ben.

I sympathise with you when you say your parents wont have a push up piano player in the house, it is a rather large piece of furniture.
In fact I have been banished to the Gararge/Workshop with the "Cecilian" Piano player, the Boss will not allow it in the house and has no sympathy at all with my idea of a hobby Smile

Never the less it has proved to be an interesting project and if I get the promised music rolls from America, Dave and I will make an effort to take it to the January meeting of the North West Group to demonstrate it. There is a piano in the meeting room so we should be able to try it out.
( fingers crossed on that one ) Wink

Regards
George.
bob west
Silver Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,
If you like Pianola music then visit the www.trachtman.org web site to download dozens of authentic pianolatunes. Bob
Ben Jackson
Gold Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the link to the website.
I dowloaded an couple of midi files and I'm going to play then on my Yamaha keyboard using my midi USB box at some point next week.
Ben Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pollafero
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Early Farrand Cecilian: interchangeable tracker boards Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
Maybe a bit late to reply to this topic, but I just came across the Farrand Cecilian story a few days ago. Thing is I own - so far as I can see - exactly the same. Only it is black instead of brown. The sticker I found inside says it's serial number is 4827, and it was made on June 30th 1903. That's less than 2 months after Georges player. This tells us something of the pace Farrand was building push-ups in those days (more than 600 players in less than 2 months!). By the way: the signature of the person who inspected the product after production is the same as on the sticker inside Georges player. From looking at the pictures of Georges player, I get the impression that something is missing there. These push-ups had the possibility of changing the standard trackerboard for de proprietary large 37 cm wide Farrand 65- note rolls with a alternate trackerboard for playing de standard 65- notes rolls. The latches to lock/unlock the trackerboard seem not to be there at Georges player, like they are at my Cecilian. Could the have changed the make of this in these few weeks between the production, of nrs. 4204 and 4827?
As far as I came to know one of the very typical things of this early Farrand Cecilian push-up, is the wind motor: it has only three valves, whereas all other pianolas I know about have four (or more). It seems the flywheel wich is clearly visible on the pictures of Georges player has the purpose to 'flatten out' the changes in the airflow, resulting from the motor having (only) three valves.

George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pollafero.
Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks for posting the infomation and pictures about your Cecilian Push up Player which I find fascinating
The one that I had (which I have since sold) never did have the Tracker bar modification fitted that yours has. there was no indication of it having been fitted and no signs of any clamping levers to secure it in position as in your picture, and the tracker bar was all one piece so I can only assume it was a modification to make the player more attractive to a potential customer because it would play standard rolls in addition to the Cecilian rolls.
The Flywheel you refer to has got an attachment with a felt pad which is adjustable by means of a lever and its purpose is to be able to come into contact with the rim of the wheel having a braking effect and depending on the pessure applied control the speed of the Roll.
I am sure that Duncan who is now the owner will be interested in the modification and will be in touch with you in the near future.

Many thanks and Kind Regards
George.
Pollafero
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Farrand Cecilian tracker boards Reply with quote

Hello George,

Thanks for you quick reaction.

I have sent a message to Duncan.

I wonder if the possibility of putting an alternate tracker board on my Cecilian was due to a change in the design between April 10th and June 30th 1903 or if it rather was just an option. Just as we can now buy cars with hand gear or with automatic. Maybe your (now Duncans) Cecilian is just a plain one, whereas mine is a 'Sedan Deville'... Wink

Altough te comparison of the two stickers indicates there must have been a considerable production, it is rather hard to find information about this particular model of Farrand Cecilian push up. I've been searching the web for several years now, and your original posting was only the third time (or so) I found information - let alone pictures - about this player.

Have you eventually found out the answer on the question you asked in your very first mail? That is: why are the holes in the tracker board different one from another? Remarquably: the wholes in the other tracker bar (for playing the standard rolls) are all the same.

If I had only seen this postings before: you would not have had to chase for the proprietary rolls over the Atlantic. When I bought my Cecilian on a local auction - quite some years ago - it came wit all together some 120 rolls. Most of which are still sitting in my attic...

The player had originally been sold by Mahillon, in those days a very well known piano business in Brussels, who ceased operations only in 1999. You can still see the Mahillon logo on the front of the player, just below the speed regulator.

Greetz,

Pollafero
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pollafero.
I think your Cecilian must be a De-Luxe model although I have no information to confirm that, and as you say there is very little between the build numbers of the two push ups.
They seem to be a rarity and I have up to now not heard of any others in this Country and was quite surprised to read your post. I did manage to locate about 20 original rolls in USA and bought them.
The Model I had was supplied by Rohlmann & Co from Dublin Ireland as can be seen on the Tracker Bar case.
It must have travelled some distance from USA to Ireland and then to England. I found it in an old Victorian Cotton Mill building along side hundreds of pianos of all shapes and sizes. I have no idea how it came to be in Lancashire, England.

We have not had any answers to the question about the strange difference in the size of the tracker bar holes up to now.
Please do not think I am rude if I do not reply to any posts for the next week or two.
I am going into Hospital on Thursday so will be out of action for a while .
Dave will pass on any messages to me.

Kind Regards to everyone
George.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Organs and Mechanical Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: