pp1f9707cd.jpg
pp93f48512.jpg
ppefa01447.jpg
pp0adc6fd5.jpg
pp76e66c4c.jpg
ppf300574c.jpg
pp3df4401b.gif
The princess!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.J Hayywood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: The princess!!! Reply with quote

I was wondering wheather any of you remember this organ????????

have you got any other pictures of it George please as I remember you being the owner?????

where is it now???
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert.

Well now that is an old picture of the Princess, I cant remember where or when it was taken.perhaps you can enlighten me.

I sold the organ to Mark Money who is a showman in Tasmania and he has still got it, I believe it is installed in his set of Gallopers which tour that Country.

Robin Hill who is on the FOPS committee used to travel to Tasmania and he told me that he did some work on the organ keyframe a few years ago.

Mark Money also owns one or maybe two more Page & Howard organs.

I still regret selling the Princess it was a very good organ, Built in 1985 it was the first organ built by John Page & Judith Howard who had premises in London.

It had a very strident Gavioli sound and was admired wherever it played.

John and Judith attended shows with it and then sold it in to Robin May a gentleman in North London who used it to collect for charity, unfortunately he passed away and I bought it in 1988/9 from his widow. It was trailer mounted and I fitted it into the Ford Transit Van shown in your picture.

I should have a picture of it in the trailer so I will search for it and put it on here.

Regards

George.
John Page

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert / George,

Yes, I remember it well. It's first outing was at the Brockwell Park rally in Brixton in 1985, and was displayed in its original form without a front, side cases or drums, and without the trumpets which were added later. Bob Minney described it as a "box of pipes".

Mark Money still has the organ in Tasmania, along with the little 52-key "Cabinet" organ - dutch street organ-style. This was originally made for the late David Vipan, who sold it on to Richard Haines of Watermouth Castle in Devon. Richard tried driving it with a steam engine mounted in the back of the organ lorry with the result that it was smothered in oil and muck. I bought it back from him in part-exchange for a Limonaire-style fair organ, and rebuilt it before selling it to Eric Cooper of Gosport. This was Mark Money's first organ.

Mark's next organ was a 90-key "Dutch" street organ - the second I built. Called "Heller Stern" it was tonally identical to "de Witte", sent to the USA, but with a blower instead of being hand-turned. This organ was the first built in Pembroke Dock in 1990 after my split with Judith, and began life with Eric Cooper in Gosport, and was acquired by Mark after Eric's untimely death.

Regards,
John Page
user1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Tasmania Reply with quote

The Princess Organ was taken on the Docks of Hobart, Tasmania. We have a
gathering here in Hobart every year called "The Taste". You may have heard of
it.
This is the only information I have of the above image which a freind supplied to me!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Heywood

Have a good easter everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the info John.

Dave Stubbs has promised to come over to my place tomorrow when we will try to post one or two Tunes from the recordings I had made of the Princess on the Forum.

Regards
George.
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.

I have just found a picture of Heller Stern, perhaps you can tell us where the pic was taken,and some info on the Organ.

Regards
George

user2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: figures Reply with quote

I know this organ but ive never seen it"!!!!
I was always told that the 2 bell ringers were based on Aqua marina from the Thunderbird series, is this true do you think because they do look a bit like her???????????????????

Marina based on the bell ringers apparently????????????
Ben Jackson
Gold Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an pic of Heller Stern in the FOPS On Display 40th aniversey book.
I've not heard the organ or seen it. The only Page & Howard organ I've heard & seen is the Four Seasons when I whent to Dorest in 1997.
Ben Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: old vidio Reply with quote

I have just been watching a very very old vidio of my Nanna and I infront of the Princess from around the 1990,s. I have always loved the two bell ringers on the princess, can you tell me where you got those from please George as they are wonderfull????????????????
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Princess... Reply with quote

Hi Robert.

The figures were carved by a gentleman named Oscar Randle, from Crewe. He had retired from Rolls Royce and did some work for a well known ice cream van maker (their name completely escapes me at the moment!).

This is a picture of the Princess in the original trailer when I first bought it. It was at the Woodvale Rally, Southport in 1989.

Dave and I have also uploaded an mp3 file of the Princess, taken from the Volume 1 tape.

Foxtrot Medley (mp3 - 3.57MB): http://www.dsvc.co.uk/sound/vol1_trk1_foxtrot_medley.mp3

Enjoy!

George
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: figures Reply with quote

Do you have any other pictures of the organ with the figures on please George????????????????

Great recording by the way
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert.
I just can't find any more pics at the moment.
I will do another search.
Glad you like the MP3 , we may put some more on if there is enough interest.
Regards
George.
Ben Jackson
Gold Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,
I enjoyed listening to the MP3 of The Princess.
I noticed what you meant by the organ sounding an bit like an Gavioli, specialy when the higher voiced pipes came in.
Ben Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum