pp93f48512.jpg
ppefa01447.jpg
pp0adc6fd5.jpg
pp76e66c4c.jpg
ppf300574c.jpg
pp3df4401b.gif
Memories of a very special Friend.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Memories of a very special Friend. Reply with quote

Ive known Stuart Marti Bowler for more than 13 years and honestly no one would belive how special Stuart is to me. When I stood in front of his organ at the very young age of 3 he took a huge interest in me and gave me the most special freindship you could ever Wish for. I loved him very much and have always seen him as my Best Freind and when ever I was down ither my dear Mother or Stuart would be there. In the year 1998 he asked me to do one of the biggest privelages any young man could ask for Which was to open the Fair Organ Rally. So on the day I said a few words to a huge crowd of peaple and started of Stuarts organ and I met some wonderfull peaple that day aswell who have been such dear freinds to my mother and I over the many years. And he also started me collecting figures my first figure Gearge Houghten and Stuart set up for me and Ive been collecting figures ever since. He also composed The FOPS march which is a glories and very happy March which will go down in history. Also he recived the Arther Mills Rose Bowl in (1999I think) for all his work so ime glad his work was recognised and that he will be so gladly remembed as one of the greatest freinds ever known.
Thankyou(The Junior Chairman as he so fondly called me)

Last edited by Robert Heywood on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert.
Thank you very much for your Post.
Perhaps we should explain to Members who do not know Stuart Marti-Bowler that at present he is very seriously Ill in Hospital.
Dave and I went to see him on Saturday and he was sleeping most of the time due to the medication, but he did recognise us when he was awake.

It was Stuarts idea to set up the North West Group and it is mostly due to him that the Group has remained successful over the years.
As you say it was his influence that encouraged you to take an interest in Organs and I am certain he has had that effect on many others.
Ever the Showman he took the Organ to two recent Bonfire celebrations even though he was desperately Ill.

All our thoughts and Prayers are with Stuart at this time.

Regards.
George.

Last edited by George Houghton on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

Location: Manchester, UK (Tel: 0161 794 5558/ Mob: 07985 437940)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Our friend Stuart... Reply with quote

Hi Robert and George.

Thanks for your posts.

Stuart was diagnosed with a tumour twelve months or so ago and he still wanted to carry on with all his bookings, both with the fair organ and the Hammond (/Elka). We could see that was one of the main things that was keeping him going.

I went with Stuart on his last two bookings and despite being very ill, he still insisted on going. As George said, he is still a showman and will be to the very end.

For his last booking, we took the fair organ to a bonfire and fireworks night in Chorley, organized by the Chorley Lions.

He was admitted into Wythenshawe Hospital in South Manchester a few days later. He is still holding on, but we know that it is only a matter of time before his 'final curtain call'.

I have only known Stuart for a few years, but we have become great friends in that time. He would frequently phone me with the details of his latest project and how he would need some help with the construction process.

I would also be one of the many people who helped with the North West Group FOPS Newsletter at Stuarts house in which he always took great pride producing.

We had not posted anything on the Forum about his situation, due to the variable nature of his illness. We even expected him to be returning home at one point, but that is looking increasingly unlikely.

We can only hope and pray that he remains comfortable at this sad time, before that final curtain call.

Stuart calling the North West Group FOPS meeting to order (Left is Michael Houlden, Group Treasurer and right is our very own George Houghton, who is the Vice Chairman of the Group)

Stuart at the console I took this picture of him for his brochures that he used to send to 'prospective clients'.

He also has a website at: http://www.fairorgan-magic.co.uk

Regards

Dave Stubbs
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: lovely Reply with quote

Those are realy lovely comments and pictures Dave and Gearge thankyou ever so much they all hold treasured memories for me and many others.
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is with great sorrow and a heavy heart that I have to inform members that Stuart passed away peacefully in his sleep at 5.55pm today.
The Organ fraternity has lost an irreplaceable Gentleman.and I have lost a great friend.
R I P. Stuart

George
Ben Jackson
Gold Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P Stuart,
My throughts are with his family & freinds.
Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Stuart Reply with quote

I have lost a good friend with Stuart's passing.

Rest in peace old chum.

I am in contact with a friend of Stuart's who is taking care of his estate and I will post information about the funeral arrangements as I receive them.

Respectfully yours,

Dave Stubbs

This topic is now in the Public Forum, so please make your comments about Stuart if you have any memories of him that you would like to share...
George Houghton
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for transferring this thread to the Public Forum.
It will give an opportunity to anyone who met Stuart to record their memories of him,and for those that never had the pleasure of knowing him to express their condolences.

Regards
George.
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Sad Reply with quote

It is with the most great sadness that Stuart died and I would like to say a few words at his Funerall for all and everything he,s done for me over the years as ide like him and others to know how special he was and still is to me.
Thankyou.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news indeed...
Stuart was one in a million, and as chairman of FOPS North West Group, took the group into the big time, when all others dropped by the wayside. He produced the group's newsletter constantly and sent it all over the world.

From my (too few) meetings with him, and our many telephone conversations and emails, he was the most optimistic person I ever knew - the bottle was always half-full instead of half-empty. His enthusiasm was obvious, although not always appreciated by some on the FOPS main committee, especially at AGMs, when he insisted in carrying on arguments in the cause of the group and organ preservation in general.

Stuart will not only be greatly missed, but will surely be remembered for a very long time to come.

Regards,
John Page
past FOPS membership secretary
Allan Guest
Bronze Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad to hear about Stuart. I have known Stuart for about 9 years now and remember attending my first NW group meeting. He was a comedian at heart an all round entertainer. The NW group will hopefully be a lasting memorial to him.

In the Archives for the group I have some of the early paperwork that instigated the NW group and have been going through it recently. He really wanted the group to take off and today is STONG financially and other than the demise of the Newsletter is as strong socially as ever. I feel the Newsletter will one day make a come back and in the meantime the meetings will grow from strength to strength.

I know things won't feel the same without Stuart, but I'm sure he will keep his watchfull eye on things to make sure that the meetings are conducted in a true and proper way!

RIP Stuart

Allan Guest
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Stuart's Funeral Reply with quote

I have received the following information regarding Stuart's funeral:

The funeral will be held at his local church of St Clements in Urmston on Friday the 8th of December at 11:00am.

There will be an additional service at Eccles Crematorium at approximately 12:30pm.

All are welcome to attend at both services.

You are then welcome to join us at ‘Painters Studio’ on Queens Road, Urmston for a celebration of Stuart’s life.

Donations in lieu of flowers. Details to follow.

I have uploaded a map of the area at:

http://www.dsvc.co.uk/stuartmap.gif

Or complete details at (370KB PDF):

http://www.dsvc.co.uk/stuartdirections.pdf

Regards,

Dave

Last edited by Dave Stubbs on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert Heywood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Speach Reply with quote

I have just spoken to Stuarts Freind (Dee) and she has said its fine for me to Say a few words at the Funerall. What will happen at painters Studio please? As I will be there at the Funerall and other places related to the Funerall. Also I have heard they are trying to get permishion to play Stuarts organ in the Street on the Day which Stuart wanted. Knowing how many glories freinds Stuart had made over the years Ime sure the Church will be packed.
Dave Stubbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert.

Dee told me that your Mum had contacted her about you giving a speech. I think that it is very brave of you.

There is nothing specific arranged at Painters, it will just be an informal gathering. There will be a buffet.

We are intending to play Stuart's organ outside the church as the hearse arrives. He specifically requested that 'Blaze Away' was played as he was taken into the church.

I have uploaded an Acrobat document with details of the funeral (370KB):

http://www.dsvc.co.uk/stuartdirections.pdf

This will be posted to all the current NW Group Newsletter mailing list recipients. I am hoping to go over to George's this afternoon to make a start on it.

I have confirmed the details for anyone wishing to make a donation;

Donations in lieu of flowers to the “Meadowside Centre” for special needs. Please send for collection to:

John Tollitt, Independent Funeral Director
10 Higher Road, Urmston
Manchester, M41 9BQ (0161 748 4448 / www.tollittfunerals.co.uk)

Regards,

Dave

Last edited by Dave Stubbs on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: i am Reply with quote

Thankyou Dave- Ime a Special Needs Student aswell as I suffer from ASD which Stuart has helped me get throughe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Organ Alley Forum Index -> Public All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum